‘The Best Time for Planning a Book is While You’re Doing the Dishes’
CV of Publications & Participation(s)
… Published Books:
‘Born To A Red-Headed Woman’ Poetry. Otago University Press, 2014.
‘Made for Weather’ Poetry. Otago University Press, 2007.
‘Feeding the Dogs’ Poetry. Otago University Press, 2002 (Won the Best First Book of Poetry (Jessie McKay Prize) at the Montana Awards in 2003.
… Published Short Stories
In 2015 my story was published in Phantom Billstickers journal
In 2007, my short story ‘Concierto de Aranjuez’ received Commended in a competition run by the Nelson Branch of NZSA and judged by Owen Marshall.
In 2006, I won the Dan Davin Foundation Award for my short story, ‘Where The Trees Lean Sideways’.
In 2005 my short story received Highly Commended and was accepted for the book ‘Racing Tales’.
… Poetry Anthologies that include my poems:
My poem ‘sheep truck’ was placed third in a competition and appears in the anthology, ‘Plate in the Mirror 2016’.
My poem, ‘Monkey puzzle sunrise’ published in collection, ‘To Kingdom Come – voices against political violence’. Published, 2016. Edited by Rethabile Masilo
My poems, ‘nor-easter’, ‘Marjorie’, why did we think we were ugly?’ and ‘between beach and road’, were all published in The Scribbler; (OUSA publication).
My poem, ‘sacred days’ was selected by the present poet laureate, Vincent O’Sullivan, as one of the poems to feature in the Best NZ Poems 2014.
‘Essential New Zealand Poems : Facing the Empty Page’ . Selected by Siobahn Harvey, James Norcliffe and Harry Ricketts. Publ. by Godwit.
‘These I have Loved’ by Harvey McQueen. Publ. by Roger Steele, 2010
‘Swings and Roundabouts’ Publ. by Random House, 2008
Oban 06 (online poetry anthology – NZEPC) 2006
‘Under Flagstaff’ selected by Robin Law and Heather Murray. Publ. by Univ. of Otago Press, 2004
‘Fusebox’ (Zoetropes; USA) ed. by David Howard 2003
‘seed pearls’ (Australia;) August, 2003
‘evil’ OUSA literary review; 2003
‘revival’ OUSA literary review; 2002
‘song of the bellybutton man’ publ by Artsenta; 2002
‘Great Kiwi Poetry Slam 2001’ publ by Brian Rigger; 2002
‘the whole wide world’ publ by NZPS; 2000
‘An Exchange of Gifts’; publ by NZPS; 2001
‘All Together Now’ edited by Tony Chad publ by Valley Micropress; 2000
‘Tapping the Tank’ publ by NZPS; 1999
‘the second New Zealand Haiku Anthology’; edited by Cyril Childs; publ by New Zealand Poetry Society (NZPS) 1998
climbing the flame tree’ publ by NZPS; 1998
The Ordinary magic’ publ by NZPS; 1997
‘Catching the Rainbow’; publ by NZPS; 1996
‘sky falling’ publ by NZPS;1995
‘Black Before the Sun’ publ by NZPS; 1993
‘Ginger Stardust’ publ by NZPS; 1992
‘Balancing on Blue’ publ by NZPS; 1991
‘Frosted Rails’ publ by NZPS; 1990
‘Winter’s Blossom’ publ by NZPS; 1989
… Work Published in following Literary Magazines, Popular Magazines, Literary Journals and Newspapers :
Shenandoah Magazine, USA.
Journal of Katherine Mansfield Society (Issue: October, 2012)
Southern Ocean Review
North and South
Otago Daily Times
‘North and South’ – My Home Town article, 1993
‘The Graduate’ (OUSA) – two articles published, 1998
… Events and Positions: …
*August 2016; J&K Rolling poetry reading & Open Mic. for NZ Poetry Day at Wanaka library
*August 2016; Invited guest reader. Poetry Reading at ‘Dog With Two Tails’ cafe.
*May 9th (Monday) Writer’s Salon at Thistle Cafe, Octagon, Dunedin – writers read extracts from their work. I will read poetry as well as prose.
- April 2016: J&K Rolling Outrider Poetry Reading in Queenstown at Queenstown Library. Reading and Open Mic
- August (Friday, 28th) 2015: With poets Jenny Powell and Richard Reeve, will be reading poetry at ‘8 on 87′ cafe in Outram. This is a J and K Rolling National Poetry Day event. (As a follow-up to National Poetry Day, Jenny Powell and I will be reading at Gore Library, Sept. 4th).
- June 2015: MC for poets Jocelind Dunford and Jenny Powell as guest readers for Octagon Collective’s Circadian Rhythm poetry readings.
* May 2015: ‘Poetry in the Pub’ event at the Leviathan Hotel as part of Dunedin Writer’s and Reader’s Festival. I read along with poets Michael Harlow, the 2015 Burns Fellow Louise Wallace, Rogelio Guidea and Peter Olds.
- April: My poem, ‘sacred days’ was selected by the present poet laureate, Vincent O’Sullivan, to feature in the Best NZ Poems site for 2014.
*Read at Palmerston library, Oamaru library and at Middlemarch Quench Cafe as part of poetry reading tour with Jenny Powell (J&K Rolling’s Whistlestop Tour II) (Partly funded by Booksellers NZ and National Poetry Day). August 2014
*Read at Gore library (J&K Rolling’s Whistlestop Tour II) (Partly-funded by Booksellers NZ and National Poetry Day). August 2014
- Invited Reader at NZSA (Dunedin Branch) Writer’s Salon held at Thistle Cafe, Octagon, Dunedin. 14th July, 2014.
*Judge for Poetry Competition, ‘Poems in the waiting Room’, March 2012
- Made Trustee for ‘Poetry in the Waiting Room’ 2011
*Invited poet for NZPS, Wellington, August, 2011
- Invited reader for Tokanui Community Arts Poetry Afternoon, July, 2010
- Invited poet for Southland Arts festival, April, 2011
- Invited reader Canterbury Poets’ Collective, Christchurch, March, 2010
- Invited poet for Hone Tuwhare Tribute, at Speech Teachers Conference, 2008
- One of several invited poets for Southland Arts Festival, 2008
- Invited poet at Palmerston North library Oct. 2007
- Invited poet, Invercargill library, September 30th, 2007
- Invited poet for Poetry Day, Dunedin Public Library, July, 2007
- Bluff and Oban 06, Stewart Island 2006
- Invited poet, High School English Teachers’ Conference, Dunedin, 2004
- Invited poet, Stewart Island Star Foundation Arts Festival, February, 2003
- Invited Poet Owaka Community Arts, 2002