‘The Best Time for Planning a Book is While You’re Doing the Dishes’
CV of Publications & Participation(s)
… Published Books:
‘Born To A Red-Headed Woman’ Poetry. Otago University Press, 2014.
‘Made for Weather’ Poetry. Otago University Press, 2007.
‘Feeding the Dogs’ Poetry. Otago University Press, 2002 (Won the Best First Book of Poetry (Jessie McKay Prize) at the Montana Awards in 2003.
… Published Short Stories
In 2015 my story was published in Phantom Billstickers journal, Cafe Reader
In 2007, my short story ‘Concierto de Aranjuez’ received Commended in a competition run by the Nelson Branch of NZSA and judged by Owen Marshall.
In 2006, I won the Dan Davin Foundation Award for my short story, ‘Where The Trees Lean Sideways’.
In 2005 my short story received Highly Commended and was accepted for the book ‘Racing Tales’.
… Poetry Anthologies / Literary Magazines etc where my poems have been published:
My poem, ‘Artichoke Seedhead’ accepted for publication by on-line magazine, Cordite November 2017
My poem ‘Kakariki Bookshop’ is in Phantom Billstickers’ Cafe Reader, Volume 15 Spring 2017
My poem ‘sheep truck’ was placed third in a competition and appears in the anthology, ‘Plate in the Mirror 2016’.
My poem, ‘Monkey puzzle sunrise’ published in collection, ‘To Kingdom Come – voices against political violence’. Published, 2016. Edited by Rethabile Masilo
My poems, ‘nor-easter’, ‘Marjorie’, why did we think we were ugly?’ and ‘between beach and road’, were all published in The Scribbler; (OUSA publication).
My poem, ‘sacred days’ was selected by the present poet laureate, Vincent O’Sullivan, as one of the poems to feature in the Best NZ Poems 2014. This poem was also included in the printed, bilingual edition of Best New Zealand Poems, translated into Chinese by Liang Yujing.
‘Essential New Zealand Poems : Facing the Empty Page’ . Selected by Siobahn Harvey, James Norcliffe and Harry Ricketts. Publ. by Godwit.
‘These I have Loved’ by Harvey McQueen. Publ. by Roger Steele, 2010
‘Swings and Roundabouts’ Publ. by Random House, 2008
Oban 06 (online poetry anthology – NZEPC) 2006
‘Under Flagstaff’ selected by Robin Law and Heather Murray. Publ. by Univ. of Otago Press, 2004
‘Fusebox’ (Zoetropes; USA) ed. by David Howard 2003
‘seed pearls’ (Australia;) August, 2003
‘evil’ OUSA literary review; 2003
‘revival’ OUSA literary review; 2002
‘song of the bellybutton man’ publ by Artsenta; 2002
‘Great Kiwi Poetry Slam 2001’ publ by Brian Rigger; 2002
‘the whole wide world’ publ by NZPS; 2000
‘An Exchange of Gifts’; publ by NZPS; 2001
‘All Together Now’ edited by Tony Chad publ by Valley Micropress; 2000
‘Tapping the Tank’ publ by NZPS; 1999
‘the second New Zealand Haiku Anthology’; edited by Cyril Childs; publ by New Zealand Poetry Society (NZPS) 1998
climbing the flame tree’ publ by NZPS; 1998
The Ordinary magic’ publ by NZPS; 1997
‘Catching the Rainbow’; publ by NZPS; 1996
‘sky falling’ publ by NZPS;1995
‘Black Before the Sun’ publ by NZPS; 1993
‘Ginger Stardust’ publ by NZPS; 1992
‘Balancing on Blue’ publ by NZPS; 1991
‘Frosted Rails’ publ by NZPS; 1990
‘Winter’s Blossom’ publ by NZPS; 1989
… Work Published in following Literary Magazines, Popular Magazines, Literary Journals, On-Line MAgazines and Newspapers :
Shenandoah Magazine, USA.
Journal of Katherine Mansfield Society (Issue: October, 2012)
Southern Ocean Review
North and South
Otago Daily Times
‘North and South’ – My Home Town article, 1993
‘The Graduate’ (OUSA) – two articles published, 1998
… Events and Positions: …
* September 13th; Reading at Dog With Two Tails with Michael O’Leary, Jenny Powell, Bill Dacker, David Eggleton …)
* August 25th; National Poetry Day Reading at Library (reading with Jenny Powell, Peter Olds, Fiona Farrell, Brian Turner, Jillian Sullivan, Victor Billot, Liz Breslin, Sue Wootton and David Howard).
*July 27th; In memory of John Dickson Reading; Crown Hotel.
* June 21st ; Octagon Collective Poetry Reading at Dog With Two Tails cafe.
*April 2017 ; J&K Rolling poetry reading in Lawrence at Graeme Furness’ exit Studio and Gallery.
*August 2016; J&K Rolling poetry reading & Open Mic. for NZ Poetry Day at Wanaka library
*August 2016; Invited guest reader. Poetry Reading at ‘Dog With Two Tails’ cafe.
*May 9th (Monday) Writer’s Salon at Thistle Cafe, Octagon, Dunedin – writers read extracts from their work. I will read poetry as well as prose.
- April 2016: J&K Rolling Outrider Poetry Reading in Queenstown at Queenstown Library. Reading and Open Mic
- August (Friday, 28th) 2015: With poets Jenny Powell and Richard Reeve, will be reading poetry at ‘8 on 87′ cafe in Outram. This is a J and K Rolling National Poetry Day event. (As a follow-up to National Poetry Day, Jenny Powell and I will be reading at Gore Library, Sept. 4th).
- June 2015: MC for poets Jocelind Dunford and Jenny Powell as guest readers for Octagon Collective’s Circadian Rhythm poetry readings.
* May 2015: ‘Poetry in the Pub’ event at the Leviathan Hotel as part of Dunedin Writer’s and Reader’s Festival. I read along with poets Michael Harlow, the 2015 Burns Fellow Louise Wallace, Rogelio Guidea and Peter Olds.
- April: My poem, ‘sacred days’ was selected by the present poet laureate, Vincent O’Sullivan, to feature in the Best NZ Poems site for 2014.
- March 2015: Read at Orepuki Beach Cafe in Western Southland. Myself and Jenny Powell read poetry, along with local poets, as part of J and K Rolling’s Whistlestop Tours readings.
- Co-judge with Burns Fellow Majella Cullinade for Robert Burns poetry competition. January 2015
- Read at Careys Bay Hotel with Jenny Powell as part of a JnK Rolling Whistlestop. December 2014.
- Introduced poets Sue Wootton, Doc Drummond, Pat White and David Eggleton for poetry event Four Poets (a Poetry in the Waiting Room event). October 2014
*Read at Palmerston library, Oamaru library and at Middlemarch Quench Cafe as part of poetry reading tour with Jenny Powell (J&K Rolling’s Whistlestop Tour II) (Partly funded by Booksellers NZ and National Poetry Day). August 2014
*Read at Gore library (J&K Rolling’s Whistlestop Tour II) (Partly-funded by Booksellers NZ and National Poetry Day). August 2014
- Invited Reader at NZSA (Dunedin Branch) Writer’s Salon held at Thistle Cafe, Octagon, Dunedin. 14th July, 2014.
- My third poetry collection, ‘Born To A Red-Headed Woman’ launched, June 25th 2014
- A featured reader at the ‘Chain Reaction’ event – a part of Dunedin’s Writer Reader Festival, May 2014. (Note: Due to the death of my mother, unable to take part in this event).
- Guest reader (along with Alison Denham) at Circadian Rhythm Poetry Readings, April, 2014
- Invited reader (along with poet, David Howard) at Blueskin Bay library, March, 2014.
- Co-reader at J&K Rolling’s Reading at South Sea Gallery, Brighton, Saturday November 23rd, 2013.
- Invited Reader (along with Sue Wootton, Brian Turner, David Eggleton) for Poetry in the Waiting Room’s Bellamys at Five Poetry Reading, September 15th 2013.
- Co-reader and co-organiser with Jenny Powell on J&K Rolling’s Southland Poetry Reading tour for National Poetry Day, August 2013. (Funded by National Poetry Day and Booksellers NZ). (Read at Gore, Winton and Invercargill libraries).
- Helped form (with poet Jenny Powell) ‘J&K Rolling’ – a poet-duo.
- Reader at Au Chat Noir Cafe, Paris, France. June 24th 2013.
*Judge for Poetry Competition, ‘Poems in the waiting Room’, March 2012
- Made Trustee for ‘Poetry in the Waiting Room’ 2011
*Invited poet for NZPS, Wellington, August, 2011
- Invited reader for Tokanui Community Arts Poetry Afternoon, July, 2010
- Invited poet for Southland Arts festival, April, 2011
- Invited reader Canterbury Poets’ Collective, Christchurch, March, 2010
- Invited poet for Hone Tuwhare Tribute, at Speech Teachers Conference, 2008
- One of several invited poets for Southland Arts Festival, 2008
- Invited poet at Palmerston North library Oct. 2007
- Invited poet, Invercargill library, September 30th, 2007
- Invited poet for Poetry Day, Dunedin Public Library, July, 2007
- Bluff and Oban 06, Stewart Island 2006
- Invited poet, High School English Teachers’ Conference, Dunedin, 2004
- Invited poet, Stewart Island Star Foundation Arts Festival, February, 2003
- Invited Poet Owaka Community Arts, 2002